Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Taste Test Tuesday- Shredded Chicken---Oh the possiblities!!


Another workhorse in my kitchen that saves so much time for me is my crockpot. Last night around 11pm, I put 3 bone-in chicken breasts, water, celery, carrot and onion in there and let it slowly cook all night.

When I woke up this morning, I had cooked chicken and chicken broth, and what did I have to do to get it? Rest my pretty little eyes all night!! That's what I call a great deal!

So, I shredded all the chicken and here's what I love. Shredded chicken has so many possibilities! I'm going to give your 3 recipes here to start you thinking about the possibilites. They really are endless!
As a side note, I love to buy split chicken breasts when they are on sale because they are so easy to shred and tend to be cheaper than boneless skinless. I got the whole bowl full of shredded chicken for 2.29 or .69 a pound!

This recipe is from a friend from MOPS:

Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

1 roterisserie chicken (de-boned)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 small can chopped green chilis
1 can cream of chicken soup
flour tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce
shredded cheese

Mix all ingredients except cheese and tortillas in a large bowl. Place mixure (you decide how full they should be) on a tortilla and roll up burrito style. Repeat until all the chicken mixture is used, line up enchiladas in a 9 x 13 pan. Pour enchilada sauce over, top with as much cheese as you like. Bake un-covered at 350 until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.

Note: If making to freeze prepare up to the baking part, then freeze.

Reheating directions: heat in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through (approx. 30-40 minutes)


Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Ingredients
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
2 cups milk
2 cups diced chicken
Directions
Prepare rice according to package directions.
Melt the butter or margarine in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until almost tender.
Stir in the four and salt and pepper to taste. Add the broth and milk and stir until soup thickens.
Add the rice and the chicken and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes.

Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 348 Total Fat: 16.4g Cholesterol: 73mg


From: Allrecipes.com
Chicken Quesadillas
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
1 can (12.5 ounces) Swanson® Premium White Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
10 flour tortillas (8-inch), warmed
Pace® Chunky Salsa
Sour cream

Heat the oven to 400°F.
Stir the soup, 1/2 cup cheese, jalapeño pepper, if desired, and chicken in a medium bowl.
Place the tortillas onto 2 baking sheets. Spread 1/4 cup chicken mixture on half of each tortilla to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Brush the edges of the tortillas with water. Fold the tortillas over the filling and press to seal.
Bake for 5 minutes or until the filling is hot. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Serve with the salsa and sour cream.

From Campbells.com

3 comments:

The Millers said...

Stacy, did I just see a meal that included BEANS on TTT? What!?!?! BEANS!?!? I am stunned. You're shaking my foundation here! he he heeee... I think I'll fix this some Thursday and make you eat it...hmmm...

The Cooks said...

I never said I liked beans...unfortunately, my three men do like beans. Waaaaaa......

Melissa Wisley said...

I am so overwhelmed with all the recipes I want to try. Now to add three more to my list!