Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Some thoughts on Good Friday and Easter

As we come into the time of Easter, this year I am more grateful than ever for Christ's sacrafice on the cross for my sins. In the past, I have really been living my life the way that I have wanted to live it and if God fits into those plans, than great, but ultimately I'm the one that was calling the shots. (Or so I thought).

What's wrong with living this way? I'm convinced more than ever that this is the way that most people are living their lives. They give lipspeak to God and then go and do what they want to do. The thing is, it works for a lot of people. Most people have lives that go pretty smoothly (like I have had). So, it's easy to play the role of Christian.

I don't know what changed in me...it wasn't like a huge revelation that I had....more like I just got fed up with life as usual. I was sick of giving lip service to God but not backing it up with my actions. I, like most people, would say that God was number one in my life. Yeah right. God really showed me this lie that I was living.

I decided it was time to put my money where my mouth was and start acting like God really was a huge priority in my life. What have I done differently?

First of all, I have cracked open my Bible more than just on Sunday mornings. I have commited myself to reading through the whole Bible. It is taking me a while, but I will tell you...I love it. I have found a love for the Word of God that I never knew I had. And I have been using a Bible commentary along with my Bible so that I'm not confused at certain passages. This also helps me from skimming.

Second, we have Preston who is at the age where he is so impressionable. Wes does a great job of teaching him Bible stories and making sure that we pray about everything. Yesterday Wes got a small cut on his finger and Preston immediately said that we needed to pray about his finger that God would heal it. Wow. Talk about conviction. God really does want to be involved in all parts of our lives. I have tried to implement this in my life and not take anything lightly and I have tried to go to God in prayer for a lot of decisions.

I don't tell you these things so that you can look at me and think I'm trying to be better than anyone else. That is not my goal. I am just convinced that we are in a time where we will constantly have to fight mediocrity. It is so easy to get away with being a "soft" Christian. Don't do it. Life is too short to say you believe in something but not let it permeate your life.

So, this Good Friday and Easter, if you find yourself feeling far from God, examine what might be the cause. Many people have pain that they carry. Why don't you let God carry your burdens? He tells us that that is what He desires. And if you find that you don't like being burden free, then take them back!

If you feel like you're a middle of the road Christian, make a plan to change it and then change it. Like I said before, life is too short. Don't miss out on the opportunity to do something great for Christ.

1 comment:

Melissa Wisley said...

Amen sister! God is going to bless you greatly for your faithfulness. I too have been reading the entire Bible in a year and I love it so much too! Good Job!