Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm not that desperate........

You know that song by Meatloaf "I Would Do Anything for Love?" Well, some would say, "I would do anything to save a buck or two." They might be right, but recently I discovered that there is one thing I will NOT do to save a few bucks.

One of the cooking blogs I read was talking about how to make your own Sourdough bread starter. I love sourdough bread from Cracker Barrel so I thought this might be right up my alley!! The whole concept of starting your own starter for the bread is that you have to sour the mixture in order for it to make good bread. I really should have thought that through before I thought, hey this sounds good.

Anyway, as this lady explained how she made sourdough starter, she included pictures of this "souring mixture." It was at the point that I saw the pictures that I had to say, Ok, I'm out.
And then I said that I'm really out was when she started describing the smell of the starter as smelling like vomit or baby spit up. Hmmm....yeah, I'm really out.

Here was one of the pictures:

And then she said "Yeah, I don't know what that black stuff is but I drain that off." Yeah, I don't really do well with unknown black liquids being close to things I'm eating! Then one of the commenters said he looked it up and guess what that black stuff is called?

Hooch.

I'm not making this stuff up! I wish I was. So, I decided it was a good thing I was born in 1981 and not 1881 so that I could avoid making my own sourdough starter. I will say that the lady who did this tutorial is very good at making stuff from scratch, so I don't mean to bash her, I just mean to bash the black stuff in the jar!!

Next time I go to Cracker Barrel, I will definitely treat my sourdough toast with a lot more respect than I have in the past. It has gone through a lot to get to my plate!!!

No comments: