Monday, March 22, 2010

Feeling Poor

Coming to the realization that you are practically out of your money in your envelopes on the Dave Ramsey plan is never a good thing. This weekend, Wes and I realized we had about $5 left in the grocery fund (oops, I take the blame for that one) and about $15 left in our Eating Out envelope. Now, we could fudge things and find some money somewhere else or just put the rest of things on our debit card, but that's not really the point. The point is to live "within our means." This is such a hard thing to grasp...at least it is for me.

But I'm making progress. After some thought this weekend, I figured that this was what was needed. Nothing worth doing ever comes free or without some sort of sacrifice. And I also thought about ways that I could make the things that we had go farther. So, I had a freezer cooking day on Saturday.

Here's what I came away with:
4 pans of rolls
3 meals worth of barbecued shredded beef (from our 1/4 of a cow)
4 meals worth of spicy turkey (from a turkey breast I got after Thanksgiving)
2 meals worth of parsley parmesan chicken
3 meals worth of chicken for the grill

All I needed was a little perspective. I have all that I need to feed my family well into next month, I just needed to physically see it!

Speaking of seeing, while I was making my spicy turkey, I rigged up a homemade baster and tried basting the turkey with it. Instead of basting the turkey, the spices which included cayenne pepper ended up spraying me in the face!! Haha. Wish you could have been there. I couldn't open my right eye for about 5 minutes. I'm happy to say that I do have sight in my right eye now! :) Like I said....I'm like Martha Stewart's ugly stepsister. I try so hard, but fall flat on my face many many times!!

Wes and I also had a laugh because I said "Isn't it funny that now is the time that we are young and hip....I mean young......and this is when we will look our best and we can't use any of our money to help ourselves look good!! (see, I def. needed a perspective shift) and he said "We will be the best looking old people who will be taking trips to Europe just because we can." I guess I can handle that. As long as I still have teeth.........

So, as this month comes to an end, I'm thankful that God is teaching me that He has given me all that I need, maybe just not all that I want.

1 comment:

Wes said...

He really has provided for every need. :) He's good.