Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Meatball Sandwich: Taste Test Tuesday

How about a Meatball Sandwich??


Here's our cast of characters






Here is the recipe, taken from Allrecipes.com:


INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 French baguette
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch salt, or to taste
1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
4 slices provolone cheese



DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, gently mix by hand the ground beef, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Shape into 12 meatballs, and place in a baking dish.


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cooked through. Meanwhile, cut the baguette in half lengthwise, and remove some of the bread from the inside to make a well for the meatballs. Brush with olive oil, and season with garlic powder and salt. Slip the baguette into the oven during the last 5 minutes of the meatball's time, or until lightly toasted.



While the bread toasts, warm the spaghetti sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. When the meatballs are done, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the sauce. Spoon onto the baguette and top with slices of provolone cheese. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Cool slightly, cut into servings, and enjoy!


Here's the meat balls before they have been formed....appetizing isn't it??



Here is what they look like right before they are about to go back in the oven for the final time.



The Meatball Lowdown: These were really easy to make. This is also a great meal to make if you have leftover spagetti sauce you need to use. When we make spagetti we only use half the can, so we always have leftover.


There are a lot of steps but they all make sense and are easy to follow. I had a problem with my spices because I have Italian bread crumbs and so I debated how much, if any, italian seasoning I should put in. Well I guess I put in too much. Wes said that he kept having bites that had too much spice in it. Oops! I also had a problem because my garlic press has disappeared!! So I had to press garlic on my own so needless to say, it didn't come out great.


Wes and Stacy's Score:


Wes: 4....too much spice, but overall was a good meal.


Stacy: 4.5 I thought it was pretty good. Maybe my scores are higher because I have to make all the stuff, I don't know!! But I did think we could have used more sauce.


Final Synopsis: If you are buying all of these ingredients for meatball sandwiches, save yourself some money and get a footlong at Subway! :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried your meatball recipe in a spagehetti bake, it was really good! I got many compliments! I too used italian bread crumbs, I didn't add extra seasoning and it was just right! Mozz cheese also worked well as a sub for the provalone!