Monday, February 1, 2010

Discipline is......unpleasant.

As I type this, I have a screaming child in his room. No, not Owen. Preston is going through a testing period to test us as his parents to see if we know what we're talking about and in turn are willing to enforce what we are talking about. He doesn't think that what we say, we actually mean. The good news is that I am ready for this battle, but that's not to say that it won't be taxing on us.

It's interesting because in this book I'm reading, "The Well-Behaved Child," the author talks about how you have to treat even little disobediences like they matter because if you don't, then they can turn into bigger disobediences and take on a life of their own. In theory, that's great, but in real life, it can be hard to accomplish. I don't want to feel like I'm punishing him all of the time. But I have heard that if you can teach your child to obey, a lot of other issues fall into line. That is what I'm hoping. I may be naive to think this, but I think if I can teach Preston how to obey and be respectful, then the brothers and sisters that come behind him will be able to look at him and maybe follow his lead. Like I said, that may be a little bit too naive.

I'm interested in anyone else's opinions on this subject. Does anyone else find it incredibly hard to stay consistent? And for those that are done raising their kids, did it work? Was it worth it? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!! Leave them in the comments section.

1 comment:

Melissa Wisley said...

I don't think you are being Naive at all Stacy. I know I only have a 5 month old but my parents are great resources for us because they have been teaching parenting classes for a long time and have seen the results of all sorts of parenting techniques. They tell me all the time that the parents who have the best behaved children are the parents that don't ever give into their kids from a very young age. Consistancy is the key word from what they have observed. I would love to read that book you are readying. Who is the Author? Send me his name via email since I may not remember to check your blog for the answer. Good Luck!