We've all heard the news....avoid fried food and you will suddenly become skinny!! That is all well and good, but then why do fried foods have to taste so darn good??? Here in Indiana at the State Fair each year, we fry everything from elephant ears to Snickers bars to Twinkies. Next year, I hear the next thing they're going to fry are children who wander away from their parents at the fair. Okay, I made that up.
Well, I have gotten off track already and it's only 8:45 in the morning!! Back on track.....I think that sometimes you should allow yourself to indulge in something fried every once in a while. As long as you have a valid reason, I vindicate you from all guilt. So, today, lets celebrate the following thing that happened on this day: Nylon stockings received their patent on this day in 1937. I know, I know.....you have been celebrating this day for years. Wes and I commemorate this day by putting nylons on our heads and robbing banks. Now you know how we became so rich. Don't tell anyone. But really, think of how the working girls life would be different without these stockings. Bare legs at the office....oh the drama!! As long as we are celebrating nylons, let's go ahead and celebrate the runs in our nylons too!! Anyone else go out with big runs in their nylons only to find out later??
So, let's celebrate this monumental occassion with a fried food. Mmmmm....yummy. Today I will be showing you how to make oh-so-easy-if-you-do-exactly-what-I-say donut holes! This recipe is from Gooseberry Patch Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook .
Here's our ingredients:

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
2 Tabl. oil
1 teas. vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten (with a fork, not your fists)
oil for deep frying (I uses Canola oil.)
Garnish: 1/2 cup sugar
1 tabl. cinnamon
The recipe:
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, oil, vanilla and egg. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until just dry ingredients are moistened; do not overmix. Heat 3-4 inches oil to 375 degrees in a large saucepan. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into hot oil, 5-6 at a time. Fry one to 2 minutes on each side until deep golden. Drain on paper towels. Mix sugar and cinnamon: place in a brown paper bag. Drop warm doughnut holes into bag; shake until coated. Makes 3 dozens.
Here are the dry ingredients:
And the wet ingredients:
Here they are mixed together: DO NOT OVERMIX!! Your donuts will be very tough!

Another important tip: Do not overheat the oil! Your oil will be too hot and your donuts will brown on the outside but then be doughy on the inside. How do I know that?? DON'T ASK! Hey, we can't all be Martha Stewart.



Here they are finished in all of their yummy goodness. So, let's thank the nylons of the world for making this special treat possible.

This one gets a thumbs up!!

And this just goes to show that you don't have to look right to cook right!! Morning is not kind to me........have a great day!!
1 comment:
You crack me up! Of course you would make one of my fav fried things the week I decide to swear off sugar! How Dare you! I will just imagine how good they taste and save this recipe for when I decide to cheat!
Post a Comment