Monday, February 8, 2010

It was just a little fire....sheesh!

Are you ready for a funny story? I just love moments like this one, that catch me off guard but then just tickle me to death! Lindsay and Gabe are in town visiting. Preston just loves having family over. He just runs from person to person, bugging them to find out what they're doing, who they're talking to on the phone, where did they get that snack from etc. I think if they saw him more often, they might find him annoying but they usually find him endearing. You just have to get used to all of his questions.

Well, on Friday, I started making mac and cheese for us all for lunch. The night before we had had Dusten and Amanda over for a meal to celebrate their new baby girl, but while making that meal, I had a pot that had overflowed. But on Friday, I wasn't thinking much of it. So, I started a pot of water on the stove and then I really had to go the bathroom, so I left it on the burner.

All of the sudden, the smoke detector starts going off. I remembered that burner and thought oh, it's just burning off some stuff from last night so the burner is smoking. No big deal. Next thing I know, Lindsay comes downstairs and says "STACY! The stove is on fire!!" So, I run out of the bathroom and sure enough.....flames have engulfed my pan. At this point, Preston hears the commotion and runs into the kitchen and starts dancing around and whimpering like Mommy dooooo somethingggggg!!! So, I run to the pantry and get out the fire extinguisher. While I run to the pantry, Mr Coolness himself, Gabe comes over and just takes to pan off of the stove and blows out the flames, ruining my chances of acting out scenes from the movie Backdraft. He is soooo macho. Oh well....he did save our lives!!

Anyway, try explaining this whole shenanigan to a 3 year old....not easy. He just kept chattering about it, ruining my hopes that it would all blow over and I wouldn't even have to mention it to Mr. Cook. So, instead, we called Mimi and then called Wes and confessed the whole thing so our conscience would be clear. That was the end of it, or so I thought. Later that day, I was reading a book to Preston that had a picture of a fireplace on it. He said, "Hey look, that's like the fire that you made on the stove!!" Yes dear....now lets not talk about it anymore. Then today, he saw fireworks on tv and said, "Look Mom, those are like the fires on the stove!!" YEEEESSS DEAAR!! Then the kicker came tonight, 3 days later mind you, and I was making dinner and I said "Hey Preston, I'll be right back, I have to check on dinner." And with the straightest face ever, he said "Why is it on fire again?" Aren't 3 year olds just sooooo funny???

It was just a little fire. Sheeeeesh. :)

4 comments:

The Millers said...

Ah, kids...they keep you humble!

Kari Jo said...

hahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Melissa Wisley said...

Bah ha ha ha ha ha! I am glad you didn't burn down the house. Imagine the things Preston would have said about that. "My mommy burned our house down!"

Lucinda said...

That was a cute story, it made me laugh! We are finding out that kids have great memories and are so honest!