Welcome to the first week of Grocery Tip Tuesday!! I'm so excited to start sharing some of the tips and ideas that I have gleaned from various places. Before we start, I just want to say that this is how I shop for 3 people. So, if your groceries cost more than mine...who cares?? The point is to learn ways to make your shopping experience easier and hopefully save some money in the process!! And everyone's family and shopping list is going to be completely different so please don't think I'm advocating that everyone should shop like me! And I'm sure you have heard of a lot of these tips, but just in case you haven't, that's what I'm here for!There is my disclaimer! Now, for the first week I'm going to show you what a typical week of spending $50 dollars looks like. This week, the tip I have for you is DON'T BE AFRAID OF STORE BRANDS!! Most store brands are just as good as their pricey counterparts. But the key is to also stock up when the stores are having their "Store Brand Sale." That's what Meijer was having this week. Most everything I got was Meijer brand.
Here's what I was able to get for $52 this week:

Here's some of the good deals among stuff we just needed:
5#'s of Ground Turkey: $1 each
3 bags of cheese: $1.67 each
2 boxes of butter: $2 each
4 boxes of spaghetti: $.59 each
Deli meat: Free after rebate
2 Pop Tarts: $1.50 each/had coupon for $1 off/2, final price: $1 each!
2 Taco mixes: $.60 each/ had coupon for .75 off 2, final price: $.22 cents each!
5 pound chicken: $3.50/ .70 a pound
So, those were just some highlights from this week's shopping trip. I just thought it would be helpful for you to see that you can still get healthy food and not break the bank. The whole trick is to catch stuff on sale and then stock up. I now have 8 pounds of hamburger/turkey meat that should last us a while! Same with the spaghetti. It's so much better to buy it at a good price when you don't need it then to have to be forced to buy it at full price when you can't live without it! It may mean that I might have to put off purchasing something else I was planning on buying in order to stock up on something else, but normally it's definitely worth it!
But if you're still unsure about store brands, why don't you just try one or two things and see how they compare to the name brand? It can't hurt to try! Although, I will tell you that last week I bought some off brand Cheerios and they were definitely not even close to the original! So, you can't win them all I guess! I am definitely never going generic with my little O's again!
What other things have you tried generic and have been happy with or not happy with?
4 comments:
I love ground turkey!!! Are you getting your savings fromcoupons or just specials at the store?
This week it was mostly done from specials at the store but normally my savings are from about 40% coupons, 60% store specials. What stores do you have down in FL?
soo... do you use ground turkey in place of hamburger??
and! i just learned this week that you can grocery shop at amazon.com. did you know this?? probably... but anyways, i'm currently in the process of comparison shopping some of my staple items to see what i can get on amazon. so far on the list: laundry detergent, trash bags (glad was cheaper than walmart brand!!) and freezer bags!
Wow, that's hard to believe that some of the stuff on Amazon is cheaper than Walmart...but very cool! I should check it out! Thanks for the tip. And yup, we sometimes do use ground turkey instead of ground beef for things..mostly spaghetti dishes, chili, tacos, sloppy joes. I've never used it for hamburger though.. I don't think they would be that good! But yeah, with ground beef around $2 a pound, $1 a pound was a steal!
Post a Comment