Sunday, February 1, 2009

January Budget Results

Well, this month has seemed like it's lasted forever!! I have been anxious to update how things are going with the budget, but January was never-ending. Because this was our first month to attempt to keep a strict budget, I figured that we would do pretty good because we would try hard. And I was right! I'm happy to report that we did pretty good. We do need to tweek somethings though.

Here's the big categories we were working with that we always seemed to overspend on:

Groceries: Budget for month: $200 Actual spent: $187 (this includes diapers, wipes and toiletries)

Dining Out: Budget for month: $200 Actual spent: $170 (I know this seems like a lot, but we decided that we needed to keep important things to us in the budget. This also covers Wes going out to eat with work friends once a week.)

Entertainment: Budget for month: $50 Actual spent: $11 (this makes me laugh because I guess we weren't very entertained this month!! :) Actually we were pretty busy this month so that cuts down on the need for entertainment that costs a lot.)

Miscellaneous: Budget for the month: $97 Actual spent: $169 (we went over in this category because we had the unexpected expense of Wes playing sports at work. So, we will have to plan better for this in the next few months.)
So, there you have it! I was proud that we did good this month except for misc., but I am trying to not get too excited just in case there are other things that come up that we didn't plan for. We will keep you posted on our progress. One exciting thing was the difference a month could do to our Discover Card bill. We were able to cut it in half! That felt really good.

2 comments:

T said...

Wow Stacey, that is an impressive budget, especially your grocery bill! Ours is like 5x that! We are working on it...I was able to talk to Dave Ramsey on the radio...pretty neat. I enjoy your blog...you have great ideas and tips! Hope you guys are doig well!
Theresa Wrin

Anonymous said...

How on earth do you get your grocery bill so low? We are double that and no diapers ;) Nice job on the budget...it looks great. As much as you try for the perfect budget, something unexpected will come up. The good news is you get a do- over every month ;) Love you guys. Tell Preston that that is my favorite jingle also...