Before we begin, here's a little cooking tip for you....when you buy boneless skinless chicken breasts, turn them over. See that extra piece of chicken that just seems to be hanging around waiting to be noticed? Well it is! That is your chicken tender. When I get chicken breasts on sale, I stock up, take them home and cut off all of the cute little tenders and bag them up and put them in my freezer. It makes my chicken breast more of a manageable size and it gives me an extra meal of strips!! This doesn't work when you buy your chicken in the frozen bag because they have already removed the tender.
Now that I had strips in my freezer, I was looking for a yummy recipe that I could make at home that would be healthier than the fried up kind you get when you go out. I came across this recipe in a new book I got, "Cook this, Not That" by David Zinkzenko.
Here's the recipe:
Chicken Fingers with Chipotle Honey Mustard
Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken tenders
Salt and pepper to taste
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 cups panko bread crumbs**
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp chipotle pepper puree (I don't have this on hand so it's not making the cut this time!)
1 Tbsp honey

How to make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 450degrees. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place the crumbs on a plate and season those too. Dip chicken tenders into the egg, then toss in the crumbs, being sure to fully coat.
2. Place the breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and back for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crumbs have browned and the chicken is firm.
3. Combine the mustard, chipotle and honey in a large bowl. Toss the cooked tenders in the mixture so they are all evenly coated with the spicy-sweet sauce.
**Panko breadcrumbs can be found in the ethnic section of your supermarket. They are Japanese. Oishiii. (Yummy in Japanese)
Cook's Notes: The panko crumbs did not brown the way I was led to believe so I ended up cooking the chicken a wee bit too much, about 10 minutes longer than the recipe suggests. The chicken was a little dry for my taste but Wes like it just fine. That's the beauty of me doing this first...you get to learn from my mistakes!!

This was my kitchen assistant, Charlie, who stood on guard for falling food. He takes his job very seriously, that is why he is not smiling in this picture. He is like one of the guards at Buckingham Palace or something. This is our friends Chris and Erin's dog that we have been watching while they have been poolside in Argentina for the Christmas holiday. Let's all stick our tongues out at them right now......
Here are the tenders all breaded and ready to go in the oven:

And the finished product:

7 comments:
Looks yummy Stace! Is that cheesy mashed potatoes I see in the picture? Yum Yum. I didn't know how much I missed Taste Test Tuesday until you reinstated it. Keep up the good work. Your blog made me smile today.
You are one amazing woman!
Looks yummy!
Stacy didn't have the chipotle seasoning so she adding some buffalo sauce to the Honey Mustard...let me just say...YUM! It was good! Glad I am on the receiving side of this Taste Test Tuesday!
Love you Honey!
(P.S. I have been hearing Preston at the house say things to Stacy like this..."What are you doing Honey?" and "What are you making for dinner Honey?" Where's he pick up these things?!?! - Wes
I just so happen to have Panko crumbs AND chicken tenders in my posession, so I will definitely be preparing this.
Thank you!
Looks delish! I'll have to try it sometime. And it was so fun to see Charlie! I miss him!! I'm not sure if Chris told you, but we're coming home tomorrow. Chris gets in first in the early afternoon I think and he'll be calling you about stopping to pick up the dog. We can't thank you guys enough... I really mean it!
oh, taste test tuesday, how i've missed you!!!
thanks, stac!!
and also... i love to see the veggies on your plate... :)
Post a Comment