Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Taste Test Tuesday: Carne Asada Steak Tacos

When Lindsay met Gabe, she raved about these tacos that Gabe's mom makes. Lindsay eats like a bird, but when she finds something she really likes, she eats like a pig! She will admit this too, so don't worry, I'm not ratting her out. Anyway, she did her best to tell me how to make these and so I thought I would try my own version.

The key to a good meal is to not stress yourself out. I have never been one of those people who run out to the store to get ingredients for the meal they are making that day. I like to shop ahead and also I like to "let the spirit lead" as to what we're having to eat. Sometimes though, that spirit drives us to McDonalds....hehehe. But really, when you use what you have on hand, the stress level goes way down. This past week, I made steak from the 1/4 cow we bought and we had some leftovers. I got this recipe in my head so I thought I would use the leftovers to try and recreate these tacos. They are soooo easy!


Ingredients:

Steak, sliced thinly against the grain (I'll leave this up to preference because everyone likes a different cut.)
Corn Tortillas
Fresh or jar salsa
Sour Cream
Grilled Onions
Cheese
Cilantro


1. Grill onions until tender.

2. Reheat the steak until warmed through. Do not overcook.

3. Warm torillas either using a skillet on the stove or by microwaving tortillas wrapped in damp paper towels for 35-45 seconds.

4. Stuff your tacos with desired ingredients and enjoy! *I didn't have cilantro, so I missed out on that flavor but I bought a Chia Herb garden and my cilantro is growing nicely but was not quite ready when I made these.




See, I told you this was gonna be easy. Easy and cheap! Always be on the lookout for things you can save to use in future dishes.

No comments: