Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grocery Tip Tuesday- On Wednesday!!


Ooops!! Guess I forgot that yesterday was Grocery tip Tuesday. I have two tips today.... The first tip is to keep your eyes open for Managers specials! These are products that only have a few days of shelf life left before they will be expired. This doesn't necessarily mean they will be spoiled, but only that the store can no longer sell them.

At Kroger, these specials are labeled with a reddish orange sticker and most of the time you can find these deals in the meat department and the bakery department. I have also scored milk cheap too if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. Same color for Meijer's stickers, but they put the items on clearance. Last week I scored a gallon of milk for .67 because it was going to expire the next day. The way we drink milk, I wasn't too worried about us using it up. At Walmart, I they have a separate area for their markdowns. I usually don't find anything great there, but it's always worth a look! So, next time you're in the store, keep your eyes peeled!

My second tip today has less to do with grocery shopping and more to do with shopping in general. I was doing my deal searching yesterday and ran across a sale at Children's Place. Great! I will get some clothes for the boys. So, I loaded up my virtual cart and was ready to spend $40 on clothes. Then I started thinking.....do they really need these or am I just trying to make them all cute at the expense of my budget. I realized these clothes were a want and not a need so I clicked out of the site. Usually I don't have the control to do this, but I figure every little bit of savings helps! So, my tip is: It's not a good deal if you don't really need it, no matter how cheap it is.

2 comments:

Kari Jo said...

do you have a children's place outlet down there anywhere?? there is one up here and they always have a $1.99 rack... that's cheaper than walmart clothes!! so i try to go a few times a year and stock up for all seasons. i figure, my kid needs clothes, so it is a need - not a want - unless i go overboard!! :)

The Cooks said...

Oh I wish we did!! I think the closest one is in Edinburgh, which isn't too far but I usually don't make it down there.