Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Did You Catch Oprah.....?

Did anyone happen to catch Oprah last week when Suze Orman was on and she said that we can create our own personal stimulus plan? She suggested that if you have two incomes, you should put one full income in the bank and if you only have one income, you should cut your savings in half.

Now, I consider myself frugal but what???????? I about fell out of my chair when I heard that. Did anyone else feel this way or am I on my own here? My sister Lindsay and I were laughing about it last night on the phone. She said that if she cut her expenses in half, she would only have $10 dollars a week to spend on groceries!! If you don't know her, let's just say she's already super skinny and doesn't need to live on only $10 a week groceries!! She would waste away to practically nothing! So, I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts. Can this be done or is Suze way off base here?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that Suze had the right idea. If you were a 2-income family, it would definitely be something to work toward, but as Stace pointed out, I get hungry and I would not really be able to feed myself on $10 a week. Sorry Suze.

Lindsay

Kari Jo said...

i didn't see the show, but i will say what little i have seen of suze in other interviews, i usually have big issues with the advice she gives. a lot of times i feel like she starts off with a decent idea, but then she screws it up somewhere along the way... just my personal opinion
(i may be a little biased... i got pretty ticked off the day i saw her on the today show and she said you should never trust what your bank teller tells you. excuse me!!??)

Dr. Turner said...

Your first clue should have been that the advice was given on Oprah, girlfriend.