Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Braised Herb Chicken Thighs with Potatoes- Taste Test Tuesday

Sorry for the delay in doing Taste Test Tuesday! I feel my energy starting to wane and cooking can sometimes get lowered on my to-do list! But I did come across a really yummy recipe to share. We really liked it and it's from Cooking Light, so that's also a good thing!

Here's the recipe from Cooking Light:

Choose red skin potatoes that are similar in size so they'll be done at the same time.
Yield
4 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and about 1 1/3 cups vegetable mixture)
Ingredients
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups (2-inch-thick) slices carrot
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
Preparation
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, shaking to coat.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and remaining flour mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly brown. Add carrot and onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth, wine, and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.

Stacy's Notes: I halfed this recipe since we couldn't each eat two chicken thighs each, but I did make a full batch of the coating for the chicken and it was just enough! I also used boneless skinless chicken thighs for this so it was easier for me not to have to worry about the bones! I also didn't use wine, I just used extra chicken broth. My potatoes were little russets and not red potatoes, but I'm sure red potatoes would be just as good! All in all, it was a good recipe that ended up yielding a really yummy gravy!
Here's my pictures:

The Ingredients

I tried to not mess with these too much so that the spice would stay on there good.

This is what it looks like while it is simmering for 35 minutes....and it smells delicious!

And here's the finished product! I actually liked the carrots and the onions in there. It gave it really great flavor!

No comments: