Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Taste Test Tuesday- Country Ham and Macaroni Casserole

We had a scrumptious ham on Saturday night when my parents were visiting, but we had so much left over! So, now I am thinking of what to do with all of this ham. My friend Kristin gave me this recipe and I have had it multiple times and it is oh-so-yummy!! Perfect for kids too!! Mine just love it. For the record though, I have never met a kid that didn't like a good mac and cheese.

Country Ham and Macaroni Casserole

1 lb country ham slices or regular smoked ham in one piece
1 large onion, diced (I use about half this much)
1 lb elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
(8 oz)1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine, melted
1 cup dry plain bread crumbs

1. Heat oven to 400º.
2. Bring 4 quarts water and ham to boiling in large pot. Add onion and macaroni to pot. Return water to boiling; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Coarsely chop ham.

4. Drain macaroni and onion and return to pot. Add ham, cheese, sour cream and soup. Scrape into a 13x9x2 baking dish. Pour melted margarine over top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.

5. Bake in heated 400º oven 30 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Note: Prepare in two 8x8 casserole dishes, bake one and freeze one (unbaked) for another day.

Stacy's notes: I have never frozen this so I can't attest to how well it would warm up! But this is a great meal to make ahead and then put in the fridge until right before dinner. This is a yummy meal, but prob. not if you are watching your weight!!

No comments: