This isn't going to be your typical thankfulness post about how I am so thankful that I have a dog named Fido who loves to lick my face all of the time. This one is going to be a little bit deeper than that. So, hold on to your bonnets, folks.
This year has been a tough year for a lot of people I know. It has been a tough year for our family as well.
It's been a year of crossing our fingers, hoping that God knows what He's doing.
It's been a year of figuring out that I don't have things all figured out.
It's been a year of finding out how little control I have over my life.
It's been a year of being broken before God, saying "Why is this happening?"
It's been a year of saying "Well, things will be okay and God will do what I want if I just do X, Y and Z."
It's been a year of finding out that I can't control things that God is in control of.
It's been a year of losing loved ones who are close to us and wondering why.
You know the one thing that has affected me the most as I've dealt with difficult things? I wish I could say it was a Bible verse, but it's a song by Chris Tomlin "Our God is Greater." This song makes me cry almost everytime I hear it because it does two things for me:
1. First, it humbles me because I realize how I am nothing without MY GOD. I do not know how things are going to turn out, but that doesn't change the fact that my God is still there. Even if you want to deny the fact that God is in this world, it doesn't change the fact that HE IS. But what a great comfort to know that He is there!! Why would you want to ignore the existence of a God who holds the world in His hands??
2. I have been able to find comfort in the lyrics of the song that say "And if our God is for us, than who could ever stop us? And if our God is with us, than what can stand against?" Those words are so powerful to me because it reminds me I AM NOT ALONE. I don't have to go through trials feeling like the world is on my shoulders. God has planned everything that was going to happen to Stacy Cook before I was even born. What a great comfort it is to know that! Now this doesn't mean bad things aren't going to happen. It just means that when they do happen, I don't have to collapse under the pressure. I can say "God, this burden is too heavy. Please take it from me."
If you are struggling today with things like a broken marriage, an illness, loss of a loved one, financial problems, loss of a job, (sadly I can name at least 15 of you right off the top of my head) I hope and pray that you will lay your burdens down at God's feet. You can't do it alone. And God doesn't want you to. He wants to carry you and be "a Great God to you."
So, that's what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving; that I have a God that is Greater than any other!!!
I have posted the video of the Chris Tomlin song so you can hear it! It should be in the post below.
3 comments:
We love that song as well...thanks for sharing! Mary
Very thoughtful, Stacy...we can be at peace when we leave our cares at the foot of the cross. Thank you for this post! Aunt Miriam
What a beautiful song...thank you
Sara
Post a Comment