Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm still here.....barely.

If you have followed the blog for any period of time, you will notice that I haven't really posted what's going on with us for a while. Sure, I have put up pictures but that's about it!

Here's the deal. The children have concocted a plan to take over the house and drive their parents to insanity, and it worked! I am just a shell of the person I once was. (Sidenote: can you believe my dad had to deal with 3 girls who were this dramatic? And I'm lower drama than one sister that will remain nameless. Her name does happen to rhyme with Chinsay.)

Anyway! I haven't had such a difficult "season" of parenting to date. I don't like feeling out of control when it comes to parenting, but at times lately, that's exactly what I have been. It has been humbling to say the least. All of the book knowledge I have from reading parenting books still hasn't been able to save me. They haven't been able to save me from.......

THE SHRILL


If you have been around Owen for any period of time, you know exactly what I'm talking about. He has perfected this blood-curdling, ear-piercing scream that just makes you wince. It is so loud, everytime I hear it, I want to run for cover. And so does everyone else who hears it. This scream has seriously altered our lives the last few months. We go through the drive thru now instead of eating in, we get babysitters for him if we are doing anything remotely quiet, we don't do our grocery shopping with him, we really give a second thought to anything that involves taking him out the front door.

The Shrill can come at anytime. There is no warning. It could be due to Preston stealing a toy, Owen being hungry, Owen seeing a plane, train or automobile...you name it! Most days when I drop off Preston to preschool, Owen shrills the whole way home. Luckily it is only a 3 minute drive.

I hate it. I hate that I am held hostage by this little person. I hate what it is doing to my patience! I can't do what I want to do or need to do because of him. It's seriously cramping my style!! Because he is so young, we have really had a hard time disciplining him. We have tried smacking his hand, his mouth, his butt...you name it! Nothing works. He just screams louder. We have now started to put him in time out away from the rest of the family and that seems to have helped a little bit because he likes being around everyone. But I know in my heart of hearts that this is one of those problems where the solution is TIME. Boo. I hate that answer, but I know as he develops better language skills, he will be able to communicate better without feeling like he has to scream to get what he wants.

I don't like not being able to fix this problem. I don't like looking like I don't know what I'm doing. I don't like thinking that people are judging me. I don't like thinking that I might have to deal with this problem on top of having a new infant.

The only silver lining in this situation has been that it has brought Wes and I closer. I really love knowing that he is my partner in this (if anything just because Owen is half his DNA!) and that we can just look at each other and understand how annoyed we are. He knows when I need a break from "The Siren" and I know when he needs a break as well. I joked with Wes recently that Owen has colic and it just hasn't shown itself until now!

So, if you are with us anytime in the next few weeks or months, be gracious. Please don't judge us. Just understand that this is something new we are trying to deal with and we are doing the best we can. And know we love our Owen very much.

Ahhhh....that feels good to get that rant off my chest! Hopefully someone who reads this can be encouraged that these "seasons" of life happen to everyone. I hope we can love and encourage each other to get through the hard times!! I know I will be a lot more understanding next time I see a toddler screaming in the shopping cart!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I check your blog just occasionally, and this time you had made several entries since I last looked. I love to read about your family, and have only this to say, "Things don't stay the same very long." (So you can be glad that Owen WILL learn to talk, God willing!) And, after all your efforts, I can't believe the paucity of comments! Personally, I'm more of a commenter...so BLOG on, Stacy! Aunt Miriam

The Cooks said...

Bless you Aunt Miriam! I used to wonder why people didn't comment, but now I just use the blog as my therapy! :) I always feel better once I have been able to put words to how I am feeling. But I do LOVE getting comments so feel free to comment as much as you want! Owen has made great strides even in the last week to try and talk so I am definitely encouraged. The screaming is still present at times but we've made some progress. And I know that when the kids leave our home, I'm going to be wishing for these days back. I am doing my best to cherish them even when they are a challenge. So glad you stopped by the blog! Are you going to be in town for the holidays?

Anonymous said...

Stacy...this to shall pass! Plus we love your family and I am always here to give you a break! Please bring the boys over soon! I know when I was pregnant I was so so so tired and a break is always what I needed!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was Mary by the way