Monday, October 12, 2009

Built in friends

(An impromptu play session Wes caught that inspired this post.)


Today I am feeling thankful for my family. I have always loved having a brother and two sisters but now that I have my own kids, I'm seeing families in a whole new light. Families are a great way to connect with people and to never be alone! If your family is close, it's like having a bunch of best friends. And one of the things about your family is that they know EVERYTHING about you....and they still love you. They kinda have to. Well, at least this is my experience, but I know it's not the same with all families.

People are surprised when they hear that the Laning family is spread out all over the United States. How do you guys stay close they ask?? I think because at least for me, I feel close to them, even if I'm not with them. We try to stay in touch by phone and plan visits. And when I do see them, it's like old times. No awkwardness...just good feelings. So, Dad, Mom, Mike, Sara, and Lindsay.....I love you guys and I am thankful that you have always loved me no matter what! I can only pray that my kids feel the same way about each other that I feel about you guys!
That's my hope for my boys. That even though they aren't girls, they will have a close relationship because everyone needs to feel loved no matter what. And if Preston and Owen start disliking each other in the teenage years, I already have a plan. Send them to Joe and Melissa's rope course and make them do survival training together! It's like being in the army, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's right! In this picture, I caught them playing together so well so I had to get a picture from the balcony :) - Wes