I'm not sure if I shared this with you, but Preston has a disorder. I call it FOCF which stands for Fear of Colored Foods syndrome. Your kids may share this disorder with our dear boy. If it is a bright color or odd texture, he dismisses it. Today we had some nachos at dinner and he wouldn't eat the "festive" red nacho because it was too bright. Poor chip didn't stand a chance. Surprisingly enough, he even distrusts fruit snacks!! I'm not kidding.And if you're wondering, this does apply to vegetables too. He does not want about 99.99999995% of vegetables to touch his lips. (hmmm....wonder where he got that from!) But he is making progress. I have him on a rehab plan that should get him back to normal in oh about 2-3 years! He now is eating carrots, bananas, green beans, raisins, and corn without much of a fight. He will eat the rest, but after a fight. Our rule for dinner is that he has to take at least two bites before he can leave the table. The "experts" say that if you just get kids used to seeing vegetables, eventually they will want to eat them. I distrust these experts because that has not been my experience. I can happily watch Wes chomp on brocolli and really have no desire to partake.
All this is to say that I have enjoyed one of the great triumphs of motherhood. I have pulled a fast one over on Mr. Fear of Colored Foods. I have started sneaking veggies into the things he eats normally. It brings me so much satisfaction knowing that he is enjoying his normal entrees without any clue that they are packed with more nutrition! Now, we will continue the good fight to have him eat raw or cooked veggies by themselves but as we do that, it's nice to be able to know he is not missing a lot of nutrition. Today he enjoyed mac and cheese with butternut squash added to it and he was none the wiser!!
I'm wondering if his beautiful, talented, oh-so-wise mother needs to be put on a FOCF rehab plan............NAAAAAAAA.
1 comment:
If it weren't for Erin, I wouldn't eat my vegetables either.
Post a Comment