Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween Hangover

Because I've had this happen to me, I'm sure it's happened to you as well. The Halloween Hangover. All that candy just staring at you....tempting you.....calling to you.....eat me.....eat me.

Well, I have always figured, if you can't beat them, join them. That's why I have created a special set of recipes for you: The Halloween Hangover Recipes. Instead of letting your kids get a candy coma, why don't you harness some of that candy into fun recipes that you can serve during the holidays? And all these recipes are fat free........

Snickers Bars: They seem to multiply everytime I turn my back.

Snickers Fudge:
Ingredients
6 (2.07 ounce) bars Snickers ® candy
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Line a 9-in. square pan with foil. Butter the foil and set pan aside. Cut candy bars into 1/2-in. slices; set aside.
In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234 degrees F (soft-ball stage), about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth. Pour half into prepared pan. Sprinkle with candy bar slices. Top with remaining chocolate mixture and spread evenly. Let stand at room temperature to cool. Lift out of pan and remove foil. Cut into squares.

Recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com
M&M's: I love these little guys, but I love them more in my favorite cookies!

M&M Cookies:
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, fluffed to aerate before measuring
1 teaspoon table salt
1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, golden or dark
1 generous teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
M&M's, 6 per cookie
Preheat oven to 375.
In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars with an electric mixer until creamy.
Add vanilla, then one at a time, the eggs, mixing well after each. Mix in flour mixture until fully combined.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Form balls a tad smaller than a golf ball and arrange well apart (at least 2 inches) on a baking sheet. Place in the oven for about 9 minutes. Remove and lightly place M&M's on top. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Stacy's tips: The website I found this on is http://www.kitchenparade.com/ and in the comments section, a lot of people said they had problems with their cookies running into each other because they thinned out too much. Because of this, I did a test cookie first and I didn't have any problem with them running. I did put parchment paper on my baking sheets since I was doing so many batches so I don't know if that made a difference.

Also, I cooked mine about a minute less than stated. I made a half batch of this recipe so if you don't want a million cookies on your hands then this is what I would do. I think a half recipe made 18 big cookies.


Reese's Peanut Butter Cups: I am pretty sure these are going to be the death of me.

Peanut Butter Pie:
Ingredients
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 (16 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
15 miniature chocolate covered peanut butter cups, unwrapped
Directions
Mix the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and peanut butter together until smooth. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping. Spoon the mixture into the graham cracker crust.
Place the remaining whipped topping over the top of the peanut butter mixture and garnish with the peanut butter cups. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
Recipe from allrecipes.com

So tonight, while your children are fast asleep, sneak into their pumpkins and steal all of these candies. You will be glad you did!! I will do this too and after I'm done, I will curl up on the couch with a hot glass of Skittles tea.

2 comments:

Jim and Sandy said...

Ah Stacy,you're a chip off the old block. I have taught you well. You have about 20 more years to enjoy this until middle age catches up with you. I think I gained a pound just reading about it. LOL

Jonathan and Kristin said...

I think the Halloween Hangover worked for me!!! I was at my check-up yesterday and had LOST a pound!!! Bring on the candy!! :)