Friday, January 3, 2014

Makenna Noelle's Birth Story

I can't believe I haven't updated this blog since April but lets just say that being pregnant while having 3 other kids sucked up all of my extra time!  I wanted to share the story of Makenna's birth on here not only because I know that I love reading other people's birth stories, but also because I have such a terrible memory so I need a record of what happened so I can share it with her someday!

We became pregnant with Makenna in February and let me just say, it was a wonderful pregnancy.  I didn't have any morning sickness, didn't feel too bloated and in the beginning, I had a lot of energy.  That said though, I enjoyed this pregnancy the least.  I don't know why.  I think its because it spanned the winter, spring, summer and fall so I felt like it was the never-ending pregnancy!  And once we found out it was a girl, I was counting down the days which made them seem even longer!

We were thrilled to find out that we were having a girl!  I told my mom and she didn't really believe me.  I didn't believe it myself for a while.  I know I had prayed and prayed for this, but in the back of my mind I thought God had destined me for a life with boys (which would have been wonderful too!).  As the time drew closer, it felt like we were doing this for the first time.  I was blessed with many people in my life who gifted me clothes and other girly things that I didn't have.  I had a few baby showers which was wonderful!  I have never felt so loved by my friends and family!

Well, fast forward to my 38 week doctors appt on Thursday Oct. 24th.  At this point, I felt like I should be having the baby anytime.  I can't explain why I felt that way but I just knew that the way I felt at 38 weeks was the way that I feel near the very end of my pregnancies.  The doctor checked to see how dialated I was and I was 4 cm!  I was so happy because I knew that there was an end in sight!  She said we would wait and see what would happen but that if I started having contractions I should call her pretty quick.

That night we had our friends Rod and Mary over and while we were talking over dinner I kept having contractions.  I kept thinking they were nothing and they tapered off.  They joked when they were leaving that it would be funny if I had the baby that night.  After they left, I told Wes I was going to bed *just in case* anything were to happen.  At 4:25 am, I was woke up to a very painful contraction.  Since this isn't my first rodeo, I knew what direction we were headed.  I decided to take a shower and then if my contractions didn't stop by the time I was done, I would call the doctor.  They just got worse so I woke up Wes and we called the doctor and started preparing for the hospital.

Now when you are having your first baby, all you have to remember to pack are things for yourself and your spouse.  When you have three other little ones, it's like you're packing them for a giant vacation that they aren't really going on!  Thankfully I had packed us all up the day before which was great because my mind wasn't working very well between contractions.  Waking up the kids was a job all in itself!  They were in DEEP sleep and totally disoriented.  But once Wes said, "Mommy's having the baby," they all shook off the sleep and ran downstairs to get ready to go.  Our plan was to meet my sister at the hospital and then she would take all the kids back to her house.

By this time, it is about 5:15am.  I had been having contractions for almost an hour and we still weren't out of the house!  I kept saying to Wes, "we gotta go, we gotta go!"  We tore out of the driveway and made our way to the hospital which was about 15 minutes away.  The Lord was blazing our trail and we hit all green lights and Preston said, "We should drive every night at 5 because all the lights are green!"  We pulled into the parking lot and lo and behold we couldn't find the emergency entrance to the hospital!!  If I would have listened to Wes who suggested we tour the hospital weeks before, we wouldn't have had this problem!  We drove around and around and I thought "Oh no, I'm going to be one of those people that has her baby in the car!"  We finally found the entrance and jumped out and thrust the kids onto my sister and got inside.

We settled into the room about 5:50 and they checked me and said "Oh my! You're 9 cm dialated!"  Oh great.  My worst nightmare was about to come true...a birth without drugs!  I knew about the "window of time" you have to get the epidural and I knew I was in trouble!  I know all my friends who have done it claim it's not that bad....I choose to not believe you.  I like my drugs.  I like being able to smile and laugh while I push a bowling ball out of my hind end.  But no, I had waited too long!  As the news sank in, I started begging..."Is there anything you can do???  I need something!!"  They tracked down the epidural guy and he was able to give me a "walking epidural."  Not sure what the difference is but all I know is when he came in there and started putting it in, he was sooo slow!  All he was doing was chatting.  Chitty chat chat...all about what, I have no clue because I was fantasizing about punching him in the face!  He took forever!!  See, this is why I need drugs.  Stacy no drugs...Stacy no nicey.  Well, finally the drugs took the edge off and then it was time to push.  That's when they tell me that Makenna was face up.  That did not sound good.  "Oh no," they said, "that just means it might be a little harder to push her out."  At this point I was so glad I had something in my system to help me relax while I pushed her out!



I pushed about 15 minutes and at 6:50 am, Makenna Noelle was born.  Wes cried a little bit and I normally cry but this time I was so mad that I had missed my epidural window (I know, I'm so stupid!) that all I could do was smile!  No tears this time!  I was so happy that she was finally here!  She had come on October 25, 2013, two weeks before her due date.  She was 7lbs 6oz and 19.5 inches long.

Now she is 2 months old and has been such a wonderful baby!  She truly rolls with whatever we're doing and has been pretty easy-going!  She does cry and fuss but all in all, she is great. Perfect for our last baby.  We are so happy and feel so blessed when we look at our whole family together.  Sometimes it is insane but we know that they will all be so close since there is only a 7 year gap from Preston to Makenna.  We may not have any hair left by the time Makenna leaves the house and we might be riding bikes instead of cars since we will have to sell them to help pay for college, but we wouldn't want it any other way!

3 comments:

Kari Jo said...

oh, stacy... i love the fact that when you write, it just sounds like you are talking!! :) this post brought giggles & tears. thanks for sharing!!

Kelly P said...

I wish we would have known, we would have had you bring the boys over here so you could have gotten the good drugs. :) I seriously didn't believe Preston when he came over later that day and said he had a sister!!

on another note, is a walking epidural kind of like a walking taco?? ;)

Melissa wisley said...

You are a rock star for having gone through hard labor while packing and driving and getting settle into the hospital! Epidural or no epidural. You are my hero!