Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm not who you think I am anymore.


Wes and I have always been known to our friends as frugal.  I love being frugal.  I love getting good deals and saving 50% on my grocery bills and getting things at rock bottom prices.  Well, I thought it was time to come clean.  I am not as frugal as you think I am.

Case in point:  About 2 years ago, I would have gone to the grocery store on my weekly trip with my coupons in hand, my list and I would leave saving at least 50% on my grocery bill.  I would stroll out of there with my head held high feeling like I had just gotten away with something.  That was then.

This is now.  I go to the store about every other day.  Because I have forgotten something.  Because I don't carry a list anymore.  Because I don't have time to make one.  Okay, I do usually have one but it is usually missing the main thing I went to the store for in the first place!  And do I shop with coupons anymore?  NOPE!  I know some of you are gasping, picturing me in a store without a coupon.  Tis' the truth.  I know you're thinking "well I'm sure she still only shops the sales..."  NOPE!  I have been paying full price for things!  The first few times, I had tremendous guilt and literally felt sick to my stomach when I paid full price for something.  How stupid is that?  I'm way over that now.  I feel like I've gone to the dark side now.  I'm so sorry Money-saving Mom!  (Money-saving Mom is a blog that I started reading about 5 years ago that totally revolutionized how I shop.)

I try to put my finger on what has happened and I try to figure out what has changed.  Then I realize a lot has changed.  I am now shopping with 2 toddlers (one big, one little).  Last time I was in Meijer I was in the produce and Cameron saw the bananas.  And then he went bananas.  I'm talking kicking, screaming, pointing, hitting me if I got close to him...you know, the whole bit.  And it didn't last just a few seconds, he went on for minutes.  Thankfully my mom was with me and she sprang into action and got a small box of Goldfish crackers from the checkout aisle and we stuffed his face like he was Iaggo on Aladdin.  But it still wasn't pretty.  I hate being publicly humiliated!  Now I make Wes stay in the car with the kids while I run in and get a few things here, a few things there.

I also have had a change of heart when it comes to buying cheap things.  A lot of them turned out to be cheap!  I was folding laundry recently and every single one of Cameron's shirts had big stains on them; AFTER being washed.  I then realized that my kids were becoming "the dirty kids" because I keep buying cheap-o detergent!  I could kick myself because by trying to save money, I ended up messing his whole wardrobe.  I think I need a live-in stain specialist like my friend Kristin Miller.  She has an amazing ability to get stains out!  Maybe she will come and live with me for 50 cents an hour??

As life has gotten busier and my kids have gone from docile little babies in the baby carriers into crazy people, I've realized I have to adjust my life accordingly.  And I'm okay with that.  I would so much rather curl up in the 15 minutes of peace I have per year to read a book instead of clipping coupons anyway.  Stacy from 2 years ago can't believe that present-day Stacy just said that, but oh well, times are-a-changing! 

Whew...glad to get that off my chest!  Who's going to pick up the coupon torch where I left off?

2 comments:

Kari Jo said...

Not me!!!!! I gave that up about a year ago for the same reason....too time consuming!! I'm still frugal, but my grocery bills are definitely higher :)

Melissa Wisley said...

I totally get it! I brought my coupon binder into the store today and didn't even open it. I did clip 4 weeks worth of coupons this morning though so I plan to get back into stock piling in case of an economical collapse which is bound to happen one of these years the way things appear to be going. But if it wasn't for that, I just might burn my binder!