Friday, August 10, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten

Like I said earlier, the first day of school (Aug. 2) was pretty sad...that is until I got home and realized how much more stuff I could get done with one less boy running around.  It was magical!  School already you may be saying?  Yup, the schools around here are on the balanced schedule which means they start about a month earlier but then during the year they get more weeks off than normal.  I like the idea of having longer breaks like 2 weeks off in October, December and March.


This is everyone at the bus stop.  That's my dad in the background, not just some random guy....
I take the 2 little boys in their pajamas everyday to the bus stop.  I don't really care what people think.  8am comes way too early for me.

Notice the tired eyes?  Poor Cammie J is not used to waking up until at least 9:30.  This has been a shock to his system





Here's some things that have changed since I was in Kindergarten:  they don't let you wear flip-flops to school, they don't let you run or play tag on the playground because they are afraid kids will push, everything is based on rewards instead of consequences which is good for a rule-follower like Preston.  They don't give out the names or information from the other people in the class, they also don't allow birthday invitations to be passed out, even if you're inviting everyone in the class and when it's your birthday your treat has to be nutritious (sugar cannot be the first ingredient).  Whew!  Things have definintely changed but so far we like the school that he's at.  The teacher seems really nice and very thorough.  Preston was a bear the first two days of school because he was so tired but now he's starting to get into the groove.

Anyone else's kids getting ready to start school?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to read about the school routine. It was so good to see you also, and to know that Owen and Cammie J are awake SOME of the time!

--Aunt Miriam

Denisa said...

For comparison, we are not allowed to bring in birthday treats AT ALL, and the school handbook includes the following sentence: "instructional time cannot be used for parties or celebrations of any sort." Kind of feels like they've take the fun out of it, no? Jesse, too, is loving it, but exhausted.