I am going to be doing something special on the blog in the next few weeks! I am going to be writing a series entitled "Taming of the Two." It dawned on me that because I have three kids and will probably have another (not anytime soon!!) I will have to endure the "terrible twos" a total of 4 times. Whew! The thought of that is enough to make me want to go take a nap. But then I thought, by the end of it, maybe I will just have to write a book instead.
I thought it would be fun to share what I've learned so far dealing with this "special" age. The age I'm referring to can range anywhere from 1 1/2 years to 3 years old, so it includes the twos but it can also include younger children as well. I'm going to say upfront that I do not consider myself an expert by any means. I'm just a mom who is passionate about making parenting the easiest it can be for me! That's right...bet you weren't expecting such a lazy response. But isn't that really what we're all looking for? A better, easier way to do things? I know I am.
The Wild
Imagine that you are a lion trainer at the zoo. If you were working with the lions, you wouldn't tame them the same way you would tame the penguins. Why? Because in the core of their being they are lions, not penguins. Lions are rough and tumble, they get what they want even if they have to bite you to get it....hmmm that sounds familiar!!
At the core of every two year old is the desire to get what they want, no matter what the cost; even if it means they have to bite you to get it. It can be a tough thing to see your child go from the cooing, smiling infant to a toddling creature that screams, pull hair and throws themselves on the floor for no apparent reason. But that's the stage. To ask anything more of them would be like asking a lion to waddle around like a penguin. Ain't gonna happen, baby! That's why it is so important to brush up on your coping skills so you can survive this tumultuous time. When you think of parenting your two year old, try thinking of it not as disciplining him but as taming him. You will not be able to get out all the crazy but hopefully you will be able to manage the crazy when it happens.
Congratulations, you have now entered the Wild with your two-year old. I am going to try and help you make sure you make it out alive!!
**During this series, I would love for people to comment on their experiences with their two year olds whether it's been 20 years since you've parented them or just yesterday. I think we can all encourage each other! So if you have funny stories or tips, bring em on!**
**During this series, I would love for people to comment on their experiences with their two year olds whether it's been 20 years since you've parented them or just yesterday. I think we can all encourage each other! So if you have funny stories or tips, bring em on!**
2 comments:
Right there with ya! Thanks for the humorous outlook on things that aren't so humorous at the time...can't wait to read more!
I love your blog! You make me smile. If I am ever having one of those days with my toddler I know I can come here and get a laugh!
Post a Comment