Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm in Houston!!

(view from our hotel)
Hey everyone....guess I got my wish to take a vacation! Except this is a vacation with a purpose. My mom and I are down here in Houston to spend some time with Sara and Chuck. It was a really last minute thing to decide to come, but I'm so glad we did.

Chuck and Sara are doing good but Sara said it's been great having some support here for her. It is really hard to do be on your own down here. That's why we came. I can only imagine if it were me how much I would need the support of others in order to get through this trying time.

We got to visit the MD Anderson Cancer center earlier this week. All I can say is WOW!!! It's not really one hospital, it is at least 5 different giant buildings that make up the medical center. You can really tell that they are receiving better care here. The medical center is on the cutting edge of things. Chuck said he is impressed because he feels like they really know who he is and have taken an interest in his case. They seem to have a great bedside manor.

Chuck started chemo again yesterday and will take it until Friday. It's been pretty intense for him and he has not been feeling very good at all. After taking chemo, he will probably lose his hair so a bunch of his friends sent him different hats to wear! Sara and Chuck have some great friends down in Tampa.

I am leaving Houston on Saturday so that I can get home in time for Preston's birthday. He will be celebrating 4 years on Sunday. Wes is holding down the fort while I'm gone (isn't he amazing?) and is even attempting to make a Sonic the Hedgehog cake for P's birthday. Now that is ambition!! I'm hoping he doesn't end up figuring out he really doesn't need me anymore, but when I call the kids are up to their normal antics so I'm sure by the time I get home, he will be ready!!

Please keep Sara and Chuck in your prayers. Chuck will be doing chemo for the next 2 months and then they will be doing scans to see if the chemo is shrinking his tumors in the liver. This is what we are praying for!

Love to all!

2 comments:

Troy, Katrina, and Ian said...

Glad you could make the trip! We'll be praying for Chuck.

Anonymous said...

I use to live very close by to there and I would walk around the hospital grounds. I can't imagine what your sister is going through, so great she has support!
Theresa Wrin